A Horse Racing Organiser is a body of persons registered in Mauritius set up with the object of organising horse races in Mauritius.
The Horse Racing Organiser, in relation to the racecourse it manages, is responsible for:
- Organisation of horse racing;
- Enforcing the Rules of Racing;
- Promoting integrity and fair play in horse racing;
- Properly managing the racecourse infrastructure and amenities and training facilities; and
- Appointing an appeal committee to review decisions taken by racing stewards.
For the purpose of organising horse racing, the responsibilities of the horse racing organiser are:
- The conduct of race meetings;
- The registration of stables and stable managers;
- The registration of owners of race horses;
- The registration of trainers, jockeys, riders and other horse racing professionals;
- The employment of, and the issue of directions to, racecourse officials;
- The veterinary arrangements, anti-doping measures and laboratory services;
- The registration, safety and security of race horses;
- The exercise of disciplinary powers in respect of the persons referred above;
- The promotion of leisure activities for the race going public.